I found a special spot in between Jacob Riiss Landing and Breezy Point that has free kayak lessons along with a supply of kayaks to be used for free on the weekends. The Park Rangers supply everything. All you have to bring is a pair of water shoes, sunscreen. and, of course, you might want to wear a bathing suit.
I went on this adventure alone the first time and I was quite nervous and excited at the same time. The Park Ranger gave me a life jacket and showed me how it should fit properly. Then he helped me get into the kayak and gave me two paddles. He instructed me on the correct way to hold and use the paddles. Then he pushed the kayak off the sand and into the bay.
It was such an exhilarating feeling, to be floating on top of the water and being rocked by the waves. When the nervousness left my body, I actually felt like I was one with the kayak and the water. It was so beautiful and peaceful. The sun shimmered and sparkled on the surface of the water, making me think a hypnotist was putting me into a trance.
There was a small island in the middle of the bay, lush with trees and tall bushes. The leaves swayed in the gentle offshore breeze as I imagined the breeze relaxing me in a comfy hammock. I most definitely felt like I was becoming one with nature.
After about thirty minutes, I was called to paddle my kayak back to shore. That broke my “being as one with nature” spell. I noticed my water shoes were filled with sand, my nose hurt from forgetting to put sunscreen on it and my arms felt like they were going to fall off from all the paddling I did.
I lost that feeling of being one with nature and became one with my body’s kayaking experience.
Ellen G.
No comments:
Post a Comment